Kinesio Taping is a relatively common treatment method used by chiropractors and physical therapists. Kinesio taping has been successful in reducing pain and swelling, providing support, and improving performance. If you are suffering from a sports injury, our chiropractor in Dallas at APEX Wellness Center can make a sports injury treatment plan, which includes chiropractic care and kinesio taping, to help relieve your pain.
How Does it Work?
The tape is very stretchy. It is made of cotton and nylon and it mimics your skin's natural elasticity. This is why it doesn't affect your range of motion. It is also water resistant, which makes it possible for you to shower and workout. It should be replaced by a professional every three to five days.
What Does Kinesio Taping Do?
There are several ways that kinesio taping can promote healing. These include:
- Creates Joint Space: Studies have shown that this tape can create space in the knee joint and in the shoulder joint. While it isn't a huge space, it is enough to reduce the chance of joint irritation.
- Changes Signals On Pain Pathways: Your body has sensory receptors that lets the brain know when you are feeling pain. Kinesio taping can change the information that your sensory nerves send regarding pain in your body and allows your body to heal normally.
- Improve Circulation: After an injury, swelling is common and it can inhibit healing. Kinesio taping improves circulation and reduces swelling, which promotes faster healing.
How Can You Benefit From Kinesio Taping?
There are a few situations where this type of tape can be beneficial.
- Treat Injuries: Along with other treatment methods, this tape can reduce the pain and swelling related to your injury.
- Supports Weak Areas: Kinesio taping can add extra support to joints and muscles. For example, if you have suffered an injury to your Achilles tendon, the tape will give the tendon the additional support that it needs during the healing process. Since it is incredibly flexible, it won't inhibit movement while providing extra support.
- Retrains Muscles: If you have lost muscle function from an injury, this tape can help retrain the muscle. It can also retrain muscles that have become accustomed to working in an unhealthy way.
- Prevent Injury: Kinesio taping can help prevent an injury from occurring. Many marathon runners use this tape to keep their muscles awake and remind them to keep working. Not only will it prevent injury, it can also improve a runner's performance.
If you are suffering from pain caused by a sports injury, our chiropractor can design a sports injury treatment plan that can help treat your symptoms. Contact APEX Wellness Center in Dallas at 972-392-9402 to schedule your chiropractic care appointment.